General guidelines

This is the crucial moment when you need to pack your life and past experiences into a few lines of CV or two sheets of cover letter. But that's only half the battle - you have to make sure that the information you give has the right effect - so that any company wants to invite you to at least an interview, and at most, you get the job you're aiming for.

There are no specific rules or secrets to writing a CV. On the one hand it is good, the shipowner or crewing manager can appreciate your originality or classic approach, but at the same time, a person may not like the redundant phrases or remarks in sentences about himself.

How do you keep your face clean and maximise the number of invitations to the ship? No one can tell you what it should look like seaman resume example, that's the point - a CV is you. But, if you follow certain templates and rules of compiling your work CV, you can avoid mistakes that are constantly encountered in the job market.

General guidelines

Firstly, define your purpose. If you are searching for a specific job and know that it suits you, you should research all necessary information about the company, vessel, ask your friends, who work or have worked there. Know your strengths and weaknesses, so you can be specific and specific about what the ship owner needs and how you can best help them in their business.

Photo. You don't talk about it, but everyone does. And every employer looks at the applicant's appearance. Even if the vacancy is for a job in a closed institution, and the candidate has to keep his head down, all the same, looks play a role, it's just human psychology. The first thing to pay attention to the photo (or lack thereof), then work experience and qualifications.

Of course, if you have a diploma as a navigator, certificates of completion of special courses, then no one will stop at a photo, whether you are on the background of a ship or on a horse, your qualifications will say everything. However, for those applying for a cruise or tourist ship as a photographer, waiter, bartender, manager or cook, still, it is not desirable to have tattoos, piercings and the like.

Write briefly and succinctly. Usually for the job market, a brief CV of no more than two A4 pages is the key to success.

Take the side of the person who is going to read it. It's best to break down important information by paragraph: education, additional certifications, special skills - divide them into paragraphs or sections, so the recruiter can more easily find what they are looking for.

Be honest with yourself and your employer. You don't want to sink a ship on the first day of mooring or sailing. A seafarer is expected to do exactly what it says on that very piece of paper.

More than 70% of your success in getting the position you want depends on your CV, the other 30%, you have to show at the interview. Since the choice has already been made, the co-employer has a picture of the candidate, you only need to confirm it during the meeting. If the information given is up to date, and you just don't flood the bulkhead decks, then everything will go great.

Use keywords to describe not only your qualifications, but also yourself as a person. You need to follow the standards that exist in the seafarer job market and write in plain and common language.

Leave a Comment