It’s hard to pinpoint what I like most about this 1914 ad, so let’s just make a list:
- Well the headline “We Pay Cash for Dead Flies” is a pretty amazing start.
- I love that they pay for them per pint as well.
- I thought they were being extreme by labeling it “the deadly housefly,” but a quick Google search informed me that houseflies have been known to carry typhoid, cholera and dysentery.
- Apparently, the ad makers were trying to make “Swat the Fly” a thing, much like Gretchen of Mean Girls tried to make “fetch” happen.
- Also interesting that the fly paper is poison. You’d think being stuck to fly paper would be enough.
It's good etiquette to share what you like!